Fool Proof Nap Time Routine

Fool-Proof Toddler Nap Routine



We have been using the same nap time routine since Little One turned one. Since she is now 21 months, we are getting close to one year of the exact same routine for every nap time. And it works!

When is comes to any kind of sleep time, whether nap or bedtime, consistency is key. That is number one: consistency. And I will say it again, consistency.

Before we settled on our current nap routine, I would fairly regularly try to change it up, trying different things to see what worked best. While I thought that it was a great idea to try and come up with innovative and creative ways of having a successful naptime with minimal tears (both mine and Little Ones), it really was the most detrimental thing I could have done.

Once I started to be more consistent with our routine, things just started to fall into place.

First, there was less screaming when I put her in her crib.

Then, there was less crying while we were getting ready for nap.

And now, she goes down for nap with zero fussing, and sleeps for at least an hour-- which was unheard of before.

So, fellow parents, here I am to share what works for us, and what I believe could work for you too. If you decide to give it a go, the one thing I ask, is that you be consistent. Feel free to tweak the routine to fit your needs, but be consistent.

1. Snack and drink

We always have a snack and a drink of milk before putting Little One down for her nap. This ensures that she has a nice fully tummy before trying to go to sleep and it helps her to stay asleep longer since she won't be waking up from a rumbly tummy.

2. Diaper change!

This one is probably a no brainer, but we allllways put on a clean diaper before nap. I think this one is pretty self explanatory. I know if I was in a diaper, I would want a fresh one before trying to go to sleep. At this point, I also usually put Little One into some jammies for sleep, it seems to help her sleep better.

3. Lights Out!

Next, we close the bedroom curtains and turn off the lights. This helps to signal to Little One that it is time for sleep since it is darker.

4. Lullabies

We do hugs and kisses, and rock while I sing her three lullabies. We always do three, and they are always the same ones. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Rock a Bye Baby, and Jesus Loves Me. By the end of Jesus loves me, she knows that it is crib time, and so she picks her head up for one more nap time kiss.

5. Into the crib we go...

I set her in her crib, she lays down and cuddles her baby doll, I cover her up with her blankie, say sweet dreams, and badda bing badda boom! I walk out of the room, and she goes to sleep.

Note: On the rare occasion that she is having a particularly hard time getting to sleep, after about fifteen minutes of crying (not just singing and talking to herself), I will go in and tuck her back in.

Well, that is it. Five simple steps to a better nap time. It may be a hard change for one or both of you at the start, but it is SO worth it.

What does your naptime routine look like? Have you given our method a try? How did it work?
I would love to hear from you!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why the Temperature That You Add Fragrance Oil Matters...

Types Of Candles