5 Tips for a Toddler in Church

As some of you may know, my husband is a pastor, so when it comes to time in the pew on Sunday mornings with our toddler, I am on my own. Completely, and utterly on my own.

Many weeks, the mere idea of church with my toddler is enough to make me try to come up with excuses for not going. But each week (unless we really are sick), we scramble into our church clothes, and run up the hill to the church. Our church happens to be at the top of a hill, and our house is conveniently located a quick three minute walk away.

I am sure I cannot be the only one to dread the possible pew tantrums, or the nap-is-late-because-of-church meltdowns. So, here are my top five ways for managing my toddler in the pew. With these five tips, we rarely have to spend our time out in the narthex or in the nursery.

5. Let them play before church


This one is actually very important...run off all of that extra energy before church! Before we put on our church clothes in the morning, I try to have my little one be as active as possible, running around outside if weather permits, running around the house, playing with a ball, anything to get them moving.

This is key for us each week. In addition to burning off as much energy of my toddler's as I can, I also make sure she has a snack and a clean diaper RIGHT before we head out the door to church. That way, if she does get fussy, I will know that it isn't because she NEEDS food, or a diaper change. And I can address any other needs as they arise.

4. Quiet, non messy snacks 


We no longer utilize number 4, the non messy snacks. We did for many, many months though. Lately, we have been able to get away from needing to munch on snacks during the service. Our snack of choice was Cheerios. Granted, sometimes she did make a mess, but so long as I picked it up after service, I didn't see why that needed to be a big deal.

3. Busy bags or busy books


We don't have these at our church, and I have been too lazy to put one together myself, but I have seen other churches who provide busy bags-- little canvas tote bags with paper and crayons, small toys (but not too small), books, etc. When I have seen these utilized, they have been very effective.

2. Quiet toys


Our quiet toy of choice was a few duplo blocks. It allowed my little one to wiggle around, and keep her hands busy while still being quiet. I don't know that I would regularly recommend Duplos as a quiet toy, because when she started to get bored of them, she would throw them into other pews. Not only did that make a lot of noise, but we ran the risk of her smacking some little old lady in the back of the head. No bueno. But you get the gist-- quiet toys can help keep little ones busy.

1. Books

This is our current go-to. And my favorite of these hacks. I usually have two board books, and one lift-the-flap book in our pew and ready to go for when Little One starts to get restless. Those three books alone tend to keep her occupied through just about the entire service. Plus, it gets her exposed to more books, which is always a good thing--right?


If these ideas are not working, I recommend giving them time. I know first hand how hard it is to sit through a long service with a very fussy toddler, but the key is to persevere, to keep going each Sunday. Eventually, they will get used to being in the service and things will get so much easier.
I wish you the best of luck!

Have other tips for keeping toddlers quiet during the service, but still in the pew? I would love to hear your ideas! Comment down below and let me know what you think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fool Proof Nap Time Routine

Why the Temperature That You Add Fragrance Oil Matters...

Types Of Candles