The New Bee in My Bonnet

Hello once again readers,

As you probably have realized, I love crafting. Though, I am not the type of crafter who generally focuses on one genre of crafting such as paper crafts or fiber crafts. No, rather I am a dabbler. I love to dabble. It is a constant thrill to learn new skills, and it is particularly exciting when I get to do a craft that combines skills from multiple different crafting categories. So I am by no means an expert in any one craft, though if I would devote more time to just one I could definitely focus on improving my skills, but I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades...or a Kate of all crafts. Ha.

My adventures in crafting have included scrapbooking, crochet, knitting, making vinyl designs for shirts, sewing, quilting, cross stitch, embroidery, designing ballroom jewelry, rhinestoning, plaster art, painting, as well as many others. The newest thing though, that I am currently SO excited about is candlemaking!

Most of my candle experience comes from one of the summers that I worked as a camp counselor in Oregon, where one of the crafts was making our own dipped candles! It was a ton of fun and I really fell in love with it. Fast forward to about three months ago, because up until that point I really didn't have any further experience with making candles. So, about three months ago, I got a bee in my bonnet to learn more about making candles and to try my hand at it. And BOY did I learn so much.

First and foremost, I  learned that there really is a science to candle making, it isn't just winging it (although you can do it that way, your results just won't be as consistent). I never knew that the temperature that you add the dye or the fragrance to your wax really matters. I didn't know that the way you adhere your wicks to the container of the candle really matters, or that if you are going to be selling candles, that you REALLY should carry liability insurance. There is just so much information out there. It has been almost overwhelming (but really exciting at the same time).

I tried my hand at making a few poured candles in metal tins, and it went really well. I then tried my hand at making about 12 clamshells of wax melts, admittedly from a kit that I bought, and those also turned out really well, with the exception being that I am not a big fan of the scents that came in the kit. Not only have I been learning a lot through this process, but I have just been having a ton of fun!

With the arrival of the new year, I have challenged myself to branch out of my comfort zone. My goal this year is to open an Etsy shop that sells candles. Now, you might say, "Wait a minute, the candle niche on Etsy is swamped with creators all chasing that same goal." To which I would respond that you are right, it is definitely a saturated niche, BUT that does not mean that it would be impossible to have a shop and make some sales. I am doing this mostly for fun, and I really thing that with the right marketing, and having a special uniqueness to the products that I sell, it could work.

I will be taking you along with me on this journey. Writing about my candle making projects, my journey to having an Etsy shop, as well as the information that I learn about candle making along the way.

I hope you join me.

Have you ever made candles? What is your favorite part? Also, what is your favorite candle scent?
Let me know in the comments down below, I would love to hear from you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fool Proof Nap Time Routine

Why the Temperature That You Add Fragrance Oil Matters...

Types Of Candles