The BEST Italian Soda Recipe

The BEST Italian Soda Recipe


One of my favorite "fancy" drinks is an Italian soda! It is so flavorful, bubbly, and creamy! It is pure deliciousness (and yes, that is a word, right?).

I often get Italian sodas when I go to a coffee shop, instead of getting coffee. Don't get me wrong, I like the blended coffee drinks, but coffee itself (especially strong coffee) is just not my thing.

Growing up, my mom would sometimes make these drinks for us (and we thought we were SUPER fancy as kids when we would get these), but she would always make them with raspberry flavoring, and we always referred to them as "Pink Stuff". It wasn't until years later that I realized other people drank these too, and that they were actually Italian sodas (ha).

What you will need:


  • A tall glass
  • Cream soda-- I like the A&W brand that comes in a two liter bottle
  • Ice cubes
  • Flavored syrup-- I prefer the Torani brand syrups, mostly in the fruity flavors. Although, we have discovered that amaretto Italian sodas are pretty stinking tasty too.
  • Milk or cream-- pretty much any type of milk will work for this: skim, whole, half and half, or heavy cream
*Important: I have ginger ale pictured here, instead of cream soda. (I was out of cream soda, and didn't have a chance to run to the store). I have wanted to try this recipe with ginger ale for a while. BUT I have to say that I can't recommend it. It made for a much less sweet drink. Almost sour, in a way. By all means, if that sounds like something you would enjoy, go for it! But it just didn't float my boat.

What you do:

1. Pour about two tablespoons (more or less to taste) of your flavored syrup in the bottom of your glass. Some of my favorite flavors include raspberry, peach, strawberry, and blue raspberry. I have found that I am not a big fan of passion fruit flavoring-- but feel free to give it a try! Let me know what you think!


2. Add 3-4 ice cubes. Sometimes I add more, but I like really cold drinks in general. So, again, it is up to your discretion.

3. Gently pour in your cream soda until it is about an inch from the top of your glass. You could also use seltzer water here instead if you wanted to cut some of the sugar out. 


4. Top off with whatever dairy you are using. 

5. Enjoy!
If you try this recipe, I'd love to hear your thoughts! What worked? What didn't? What suggestions do you have to make it better? 

*Side note: Sometimes (and I haven't figured out exactly why, or why it only happens sometimes) the drink will look like it has little chunky bits floating in it. It doesn't change the taste of it, but it just strikes me as odd. Let me know in the comments if it happens to you too, or if you know how to keep it from happening!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fool Proof Nap Time Routine

Why the Temperature That You Add Fragrance Oil Matters...

Types Of Candles