Tuesday, June 20, 2017

What I fear most...

What I Fear most...



I think it would be safe to say that some of the most common fears among adults include things like death, heights, and spiders. My greatest fear is not on that list-- the dark. I think that most people associate fear of the dark with children. I would venture to say that they make that association rightly, given that SO many children fear the dark, but grow out of it over time. 

I was one of those oh so lucky individuals who did not grow out of being scared of the dark. 

I guess I should be thankful that my fear of the dark is not a paralyzing one that causes great anxiety-- it only causes a little bit. I guess I should also consider myself lucky that my biggest fear is not even one of great magnitude. 

But, nevertheless, I am afraid of the dark. I make my poor husband get up and turn lights on for me if I have to go any long distance in the house at night (which is rare) and I always have him turn the lights off for me, so that I don't have to walk in the dark. 

Part of my issue with the darkness is that it takes my eyes much longer to adjust to the darkness than your average person. I don't know why, but it seems like it has always been that way for me. Then, of course, while my eyes are in that period of adjusting and have no real idea what they are seeing, my imagination runs wild with all sorts of stupid scary things. 

Thankfully though, I don't have to just be scared. I don't have to suffer with fright. Because even if I am feeling scared, I can take solace in the knowledge that Christ with keep me safe. I can pray, and can take comfort in knowing that God is watching out for me. I think that Veggie Tales said it best when they said "God is bigger than the boogie man". Which, by the way, just happens to be one of my favorite quotes of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment